Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Old news

Well, the old news is that Tessa, the girl who will eat anything, does not like cow's milk. After she turned one I started giving her a bit of milk in a sippy cup occassionally and she refused to drink it. Now, when I say she likes anything, I am quite serious. She hasn't had any shellfish yet and she wasn't supposed to eat nuts yet due to possible allergies, but her silly mother somehow forgot that pecan crusted chicken salad might have nuts in it and was happily feeding her away when the unfortunate realization occurred. Tessa did not have any reaction though, so I think food allergies are not in her future. She enjoys any fish, meat, vegetable, fruit, eggs, rice, pasta, soup, and loves to drink water. In fact, she appears to like everything she has tasted...even lettuce, bell peppers, and onions (Sophia's holy trinity of FOODS THAT ARE YUCK). In fact, last night we went to a Korean restaurant and thought the cucumber kimchi wasn't too spicy, so we let her try it. In it went with a thoughtful look for several seconds, then out it came with a shocked cry, then back in for another try...I think it took her four times but she finally kept it in and ate it.

But cow's milk, which is in the cheese and yogurt that she loves so dearly, not a chance. She finally started drinking a few sips at a time after several weeks, then we all had the stomach flu last week and avoided milk like the plague. So, with great trepidation, I offered it to her again. Her aversion to it held strong for a couple days. Until this morning. She drank almost an ounce at breakfast so I offered her more at lunch and she tipped back that sippy cup and devoured it. She chugged her milk like her Daddy used to chug beer at the dorm parties. Then she sucked on the empty cup for awhile until I gave her more, which she also drank. And so, the aversion to cow's milk? Old news.

No comments: