Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Happy Halloween from Oz

These first videos are from the night before Halloween, when we were on our way to the youth center's Halloween party. I have been sick (the flu mist gave me the flu!) for awhile so my voice isn't quite right. I planned on taking snapshots from these videos, but decided that they are rather funny to watch, so I just put them all in. Tessa played a good Cowardly Lion, because she was a little unsure about her own Daddy when he first put on that mask. None of the other costumes bothered her, even the kids with really creepy things, but she didn't like her Daddy not looking like her Daddy.







At the youth center, there was a fire engine outside, so I asked if Sophia/Dorothy could get in and she probably would have had a great night if it ended right there!

Of course, then Tessa had to have a turn...keep in mind they are above my head in these pictures, must not have their Mommy's fear of heights!

This video is from Halloween night. The entire family went around the neighborhood trick-or-treating, even Toto (as played by Itsy Bitsy). The girls were done before an hour was up, so we went home to hand out candy...I actually was able to get rid of most of the girls' candy that night! But I let them each keep a little. They loved getting to hand out candy to the other kids, although Tessa has asked me every day since if we could trick-or-treat again.

I actually painted my face green that night, though I wasn't willing to do it twice in a row! It is a good thing that I waited until Halloween to put the paint on, because it stung my nose where I have been wiping it so much, and I wouldn't have done that again!


We received numerous compliments and had several people that we didn't know take our picture (especially Chuck). Sophia asked if people liked anyone else's costumes, or just ours! She loved the attention, but would also physically push her sister in front of herself for people to look at...she didn't want the spotlight ALL to herself.


I have another video taken a few moments after this, where the fun has ended and Sophia is bawling. Scary costume? No. Mean sister? Surprisingly not. Too much fun in one night? Probably. But in fact, a cat snuck into our house...three times. I kept shooing it out but it kept creeping back in (I had the door open so I didn't have to sit on the porch the whole time with the girls but could watch them). It was very cute, soft, super friendly, and no collar. So of course, to Sophia that meant we should keep it and she was devastated that Mommy didn't agree. I decided to be nice and omit that video...though it is quite pitiful to see Dorothy cry. I secretly wanted to keep the cat myself and considered for a brief moment the possibility of putting signs up to see if anyone would claim her. But we are already having a hard enough time trying to figure out what to do with Itsy Bitsy while we got to Australia for 2.5 weeks, we certainly don't need a cat to think about as well!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

So cute! Great job. Sophia makes a great Dorothy. You've inspired me, maybe I will actually dress up next year!

allieg8r said...

You can send Itsy to us while you're away! oh, wait... we'll be in HI with your mom... nevermind!