Friday, September 26, 2008

When you see a fire, Call 911! 911 and the fire truck will come. When you see a fire, call 911!

That is the new song that Sophia learned at school in preparation of going to the Fire Station. It is to the tune of Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes and I love it! Her Daddy was able to take the day off of work and be a chaperone for her first field trip of the year. I signed up to go but needed something to do with Tessa so I asked him if he could use a day of leave (I know, I need to find a friend or a babysitter). Then Sophia wanted him to go so I decided to stay home with Tessa and let them have a fun day together. Of course, then Sophia decided she wanted me to go but Chuckolate had already signed the form and I knew they would have fun together once they were on their way.






And they did. The had a tour of the fire station, saw a rescue truck and a ladder truck, watched two of the Moms go way up high in the ladder (oh, shucks, I missed doing that!), and sang their song for the firefighters. At the end, Sophia raised her hand and asked the firefighter if they ever cleaned their trucks and he explained that the drivers cleaned them as soon as they got to work every shift. I was proud to hear that she had asked a question and that it was about cleaning! Yes! (She frequently tells me that when she is a grown-up she will never clean up the living room or bedrooms-bathrooms are fun though- and will not require her children to ever clean their rooms...I was getting a little concerned.)



Only problem with the field trip was that they were not allowed to touch the firetrucks! I figured they would get to climb up on one but told Sophia maybe not, just in case. The first words out of her mouth when she got home was that they were not allowed to climb on one and couldn't even touch the firetrucks! Why not? Beats me...I suppose safety was the reason for no climbing...but touching? It reminds me of going to the Honey Farm and not getting to even see the bees. I won't get into a philosophical debate but it makes me wonder if our society is getting a tad bit overprotective of our children...bees and firetrucks are the reason they love honey farms and fire stations!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Fun field trip! And yes, you do need to get a babysitter! That is too bad they couldn't touch the truck. Abbey went to the Yokota fire station last year and they got to sit in the truck two at a time. Of course she looked terrified at the time. ;0) Maybe you could post a video of Sophia singing that song so Abbey can learn it too!