Monday, March 7, 2011

Who loves the zoo?!

Our week ended abruptly with Chuck being called back to work that last weekend. I figured the girls would spend Sunday relaxing and resting, but instead we woke up to a beautiful, sunny day! We have quickly learned here that if the sun is out, we take advantage! So, we packed some lunches, loaded the car with everything we could possibly need, programmed Navichan (SatNav), and headed to the Linton Zoo. The website gave two different postcodes, so I was sure we would get lost, but we got there without any trouble. Or sick kids. It was amazing. Unfortunately, their machine wouldn't take a US card, but I had exactly enough lbs for us to get in (I had double checked-US cards are often a problem here!). We had to stay away from the cafe and store, but somehow we managed. I am trying to teach myself to stop relying on a card, but it is really so much easier than carrying around and sorting out US and UK money!
The tapirs were especially interesting, as we were able to see them being fed and listen to a zookeeper talk about them. Their closest relatives are...rhinos and horses!

The girls enjoyed the animal statues, as well as the real animals. They even liked the trash can that looked like a giant chocolate bunny...though I wondered 'Why?' They weren't many animals there, especially compared to the BioPark in Albuquerque, but the exhibits allowed you a close look at the animals and there were several interesting ones.

Finally, a phone to booth that doesn't smell like urine! Tessa asked for some privacy for her call and then shut the door on me!














Sophia fell in love with some Indian Star Tortoises and wanted to look at them over and over again. I don't think she understood the irony of her wanting them for pets, when they were at the zoo because they have become endangered, due to people wanting them as pets.
Although the gray skies and rain met us at the zoo, it was still a fun day and a great way to end our vacation!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

You need a wallet with two compartments. That is what I had to use in Japan after being told that the commissary did not accept the bill I was offering them. ;0)
Some of those statues were way too real, Jordan, watch out! Glad you had fun.