Halloween is not quite the same in the UK as it is in the US, but it is celebrated somewhat. There are Halloween decorations, sweeties, and costumes in the shops, just not as extensively as in the US. People do trick-or-treat, but there are many more that do not. I contemplated drving to the base and allowing the girls to trick-or-treat there, but it was a school night, I knew the base would be crazy, and honestly I have never allowed them to eat as much candy as they have gotten in the past anyway. I allow them to choose a few of their favorites, then I choose a few of my favorites, then the rest goes to work with Daddy (where he hopefully SHARES with her coworkers!).

So, we decided to see whether our neighborhood was trick-or-treat friendly or not. We only knocked on the doors of neighbors that we had met before, either with kids that we knew or people that we had at least said hello to in the past. That is often the way it is typically done here and I certainly didn't want any neighbors annoyed with us! We went to a total of 8 houses, I believe. They were spread out over two streets, so Tessa was actually tired and ready to stop. Amazingly, they did get quite a lot of candy because people were extra generous (possibly due to the limited number of trick-or-treaters!). In fact, I had bought three big bags to hand out and only 4 kids came to our door! (And those were the kids whose houses we went to and I told them to go down to our house!). But most importantly, the girls enjoyed walking around in their costumes at night and having my (very sweet) next door neighbor gush over how lovely they looked. Sophia was a bit sad that she didn't see any friends, so her Daddy drove her to a neighborhood a few blocks away where several of her friends live and the two of them trick-or-treated for a little bit longer, but gave up soon as it was bedtime and she hadn't run into anyone.



 |
|
 |
| New tiaras to complete their outfits (since I didn't have to buy anything else for Halloween this year!) |
 |
| I don't know why my camera shows this picture just fine but the computer won't allow it! Cute top half anyway so I had to include it. |
 |
| Tessa was NOT in the mood to get her photo taken, even though I really wanted to get a good picture of her! |
No comments:
Post a Comment