Monday, March 17, 2008

Uh oh an accident

And not the kiddie kind either. The girls and I were actually in a car accident on Friday, on our way home from Sophia's school. We are all fine. In fact, I'm not sure either of them were even fazed by it. I was pretty shaken up though...mostly at how close that truck came to hitting Tessa's door.

I had just turned left on a green arrow. The kid (makes me feel old to say that, but he wasn't even 20, I'm sure) driving the truck turned from the other direction, after me, and went across 3 lanes to hit my car just behind Tessa's (rear right) door. I actually saw him coming but there was no where for me to go and if I stopped that giant truck would have hit us more, so I sped up a little and almost avoided the hit. Not quite. Our insurance company seems confident that we will not have to pay anything to get it fixed, except for a rental car if I want to keep taking Sophia to school!

The other driver told me several times how tired he was because he and a friend had just driven from Phoenix to pick up the trucks for the company they work for, and were on their way back there to deliver them. He had been driving since 1am and the accident was at 2pm! I told him to take a nap before finishing the drive back, but I doubt he listened to me. So for anyone reading this, take a nap if you are driving tired!

On a lighter, slightly amusing note: Sophia didn't really see the guy when he and I were outside talking. I left both girls in the car until we arrived at the police substation to file a report. Thankfully, Chuck left work to meet us so I wasn't on my own for that part. Still, Sophia was bored and chatted with the man working there. When the other driver finished filling out his report and stood up, he said hi to her. She told him we were there because our car got broken. He said, "Yeah I know. I'm the one who broke it." She giggled. He said," You think that's funny? I bet your Mom and Dad don't think its very funny." Actually, it was a bit funny, but I didn't tell him that!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh Jordan! Scary! I'm so glad you are all okay. Your poor little car... and your poor nerves. I think the Japanese have the right idea about waiting until you are 20 to drive... Soooooo glad you are all right.